According to Betty Liu, Founder/CEO at Radiate, Inc. here are the 7 effective habits to develop in 2018. I read it and loved it and thought I should share it with you.
The new year is upon us and some of us are already putting our New Year’s resolutions into motion (in other words, my diet starts today)
I don’t know about you but I am a big believer in resolutions. The new year presents an opportunity for a fresh start. I like to physically write down a list of ways I can improve and what I want to achieve for the year ahead.
Even if I don’t complete all the goals, many that make it on the list have become daily habits that have changed my life. So whether you want to hit the gym or take some new steps to get ahead in your career, just a few tweaks can do wonders. Here are 7 habits that will help power you into even greater success in 2018:
1. Do the hard stuff early. Mark Twain once said if you eat a live frog in the morning, nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day. You’ve already done the hardest thing. Before you even settle down at your desk, do one of the really hard things on your to-do list. Eat that 🐸. Write that unpleasant email or make that difficult phone call in the morning before the day gets started. Work on that project in the early hours. You’ll find you’ll become way more efficient if you don’t walk around all day with a big cloud hanging over your head thinking of what you need to do.
2. Take care of your body. Believe me when I say the majority of CEOs I speak to exercise every day. They don’t hit the gym to have rippling abs underneath their clothes, they do it for their physical and mental health. Working out helps you burn off emotional energy—as well as that morning donut—and refocuses your brain.
3. Catch some z’s. You can have the best of intentions for the day ahead but without any sleep, they will come to nothing. As a busy entrepreneur I know it’s hard to find the time to get some shut eye, but getting a great night’s sleep will do wonders for you. If you are struggling to get shut-eye, light a candle, get into your fuzzy PJs, and lay down and close your eyes. Even if you don’t fall asleep right away, you’re still resting.
4. Be grateful. When the going gets tough, don’t get mad—get grateful. It seems hokey, but exercising gratitude everyday will make you infinitely more successful. Some career coaches suggest making a list of things you’re grateful for, such as the freedom to start your own business or the support of your family and friends. Writing a list gives you a moment to step back and recognize how lucky you are. Acknowledging these important things on a regular basis will improve your life immeasurably.
5. Work really hard…and then break for some fun. My Radiate team will tell you that I might work really really hard but I still make time for some fun! Success doesn’t come by working 24/7. There’s this odd myth that only people who work all the time will succeed. Crazy! If anything, they’ll fail. Even the hardest-working people in the world know how to break for fun. Being able to turn your work off to recharge your batteries is critical to your success.
6. Forgive yourself. You screwed up a pitch? So what. You got into a fight with a co-worker? That happens. American humorist Erma Bombeck famously said: “Worrying is like a rocking chair: it gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere.” Only one thing that’s guaranteed in the new year is that you will make plenty of mistakes. You need to learn to stop worrying. Forgive yourself and mean it. Then, move on. Spending time mulling over what’s already happened will help no one, especially not you!
7. Do things for others while expecting nothing in return. It’s amazing how much helping someone—it doesn’t matter who or what, or how big or small—will improve your outlook on life. Helping someone is empowering. Helping someone without expecting a return is freeing. Don’t keep score. The universe works in mysterious ways—you’ll get your rewards soon enough.
Source: Betty Liu!