CHOOSE GOOD NAME (REPUTATION) OVER SILVER AND GOLD
In business, as in life, we often times come to the point of making crucial choices; a onetime decision whose consequences – positive or negative – would follow us for the rest of our existence. And sometimes, may threaten our very existence. What then are you to do? At times, the severity of this may blur your ability to think straight, yet you are expected to make the best decision. Well, one good way out of this dilemma is having a go-to action plan ahead of time: to always choose having a good reputation above money and material favors.
Your company may be deep in financial crisis and there’s this shady deal that can kick you back to your feet. What would you do? You really, really need this money! Simple answer: do whatever would protect your good reputation.
Never do anything that you may regret reading about it in the press – be it on primetime news on BBC or in gossip among family and friends. You may be trying to discourage competitor(s), and a scheme that would undoubtedly work is sited on your desk; though things may get a bit complicated. While this may guarantee monopoly and more money, if your good name is placed on the line, do not go for it. A little dent on your reputation can do a lot more harm than good.
At any point, always choose good name over material riches.
CHOOSE HEALTH OVER WEALTH
A lot of us work under undue distress, hazardous environment without protective gears, nor take precautions and so on. Are you not writing your obituary by installment? What’s the point of amassing wealth without being healthy enough to enjoy it? If you truly love your work, you’ll want to stay at it for a long time. But trading your health is shortening how long you can stay on the job – so, choose wisely. As commonly said, ‘health is wealth’ but the reverse is not likely true.
Thus, if you really must do a tradeoff, choose in favor of health.
CHOOSE FAMILY FIRST BEFORE CAREER/BUSINESS
Career would end someday, somehow. Then, you’ll still have your family to face. Family really never ends…it is better to invest in what is long lasting than temporal. Family keeps on loving you, but you never know when your company stops loving you. Should you be incapacitated for whatever reason, family would always be there for you. But business/career would abandon you in no distant time – especially if you do not recover in time.
Consider the following:
* The interest of your client is important, so also your family’s.
* If you fall in life, neither your boss nor client would give you a helping hand, your family and friends certainly will.
* Life is not only about work, office and clients. There is more to life. You need time to socialize, entertain, relax and exercise. Don’t let life be meaningless.
* A person who stays late at the office is not hardworking. Instead, he/she is a fool who does not know how to manage work within stipulated time. S/He is inefficient and incompetent in his work.
* You came from your family to work and you’ll certainly return to them. How do you wish to return – being shamed or praised by them
* While you work hard to provide the family with good things. Life is not only about things. Your family enjoys you more than the things you bring.
I’ll conclude with the wise words of Walt Disney: “a man should never neglect his family for business.” Walt Disney was a multimillionaire entrepreneur before his demise. If he operated this principle and still made millions in dollars, I don’t see why you shouldn’t.